Vintage Tag Swap

On the forum where I trade ATCs, a vintage tag swap was being organized. I had never made a tag before, and wasn’t going to join, but as I was reading the thread, I started to think, “Well, maybe….” And tossed my hat into the ring.

 
I was totally nervous about joining. I had never made a tag before, my style isn’t really “vintage” and I still feel like an untalented newbie when it comes to mixed media. But I’m glad I tried! Tag-making is lots of fun!

I started with a chipboard tag base I bought at Michael’s. Using matte medium, I glued down a piece of paper from Prima’s Rose Quartz collection, then added a piece of lace wide enough to cover the whole tag on top at that, also with matte medium. After letting it dry, I spritzed the lace with just a bit of Cotton Candy Pink starburst spry from Lindy’s. 

After gluing down two more strips of floral lace, I cut some strips of paper from Prima’s Wild & Free collection. I distressed the edges and layered them in the center (though this got mostly covered up). I sprayed a chipboard floral frame from Scrapiniec with a silver glitter spray to make it sparkle. It was then I decided the paper layers I had glued down were too dark, so I put another piece of lace in top. I glued the frame on top, then went to town with some moss and Prima flowers on the other side. 

The bottom of the tag still needed a little something so I fussy cut some feathers from the Prima paper, used a pen to give them a slight curve, and glued them underneath the flowers. I added the big butterfly with hot glue, and a quote sticker from one of the Tim Holtz collections. I still thought it needed a little something, so I die cute some tiny, tiny butterflies using a Memory Box die and added them as well. Added some ribbon at the top and my tag was done!


I really loved it in the end. I didn’t think I would when I first started, but it worked! I really hope my partner liked it as much as I liked the one she made for me! 🙂

Advertisements

Mother’s Day 2017

I thought, since Mother’s Day has just past, I’d share a couple of cards I made for my own mom.

The first was done for her 70th birthday, back in December. There is a tutorial out there I used to make this card, but since I made it months ago… *sigh* I can’t remember where I saw it. If I ever find it again, I will link it here. But I will do my best to describe how I made it…

It’s a standard 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 card base made from heavy white cardstock. I used a number stamps set from Simon Says Stamp to stamp the 70 on the front with VersaMark ink before adding white embossing powder on top. After heat setting, the powder, I took a piece of acetate and “smooshed” various shades of blue and green distress ink onto it, one color at a time. I sprayed the ink with a little water, then used the acetate to spread the ink onto the card in splotches.

I cut the tag out of the same cardstock and heat  embossed the “Happy” and “th” in white. I then inked it up using the same colors I’d used on the card base and brushed over it with my clear Wink of Stella brush pen. The 70 at the bottom was made using the same technique then cut out and adhered with some foam tape. A few gems and a bow made out of some twine completed the card.

For my Mother’s Day card, since my mom loves fairies, I wanted to make her a fairy-themed card, and found an amazing tutorial using Memory Box and Poppy Stamps dies. Unfortunately, my Poppy Stamps fairy dies were delayed in shipping, so I had to improvise with a different fairy die, but I think it turned out OK in the end.

The dies used in making this card included:

  • Memory Box Wildwood Collage
  • Memory Box Thicket Collage
  • Memory Box Grove Collage
  • Memory Box Timberland Collage
  • Poppy Stamps Mushrooms
  • Memory Box Playful Squirrels
  • Poppy Stamps Tiny Frogs
  • Memory Box Lucky Charms
  • Dovecraft Fairy

The four collage dies are different sizes were made to create this tunnel effect. I inked them using various distress inks, getting a little darker the further into the “tunnel” I went. The background was inked to mimic a sunrise. The other elements were inked with distress inks as well and some white dots were added to the mushrooms with a gel pen. The fairy I left white, but spritzed with with a silvery shimmer spray. The layers were put together using foam tape and the detail elements were glued on.

I can’t wait to try this card again with the Poppy Stamps fairies!

Mom loved her cards, especially the fairy. She’s trying to figure out how to frame it. XD

Happy Mother’s Day, everyone!

Smaller quilling projects

After my Major Undertaking, I decided to try something smaller. I had a random pad of 6×6″ scrapbook paper which inspired me to do something Steampunk-ish. I wanted to try a husking technique I’d seen on YouTube, added some flowers, chipboard and gear trinkets, and came up with “Flight Mechanics.”

"Flight Mechanics"
“Flight Mechanics”

I’m happy to say this became my first sold piece! A Facebook friend saw it, loved it and bought it. I’m so happy he liked it! ❤

Next, I decided to try my hand at 3D quilling… and learned I need way more practice! That will come in the future I’m sure.

"Tea Time"
“Tea Time”

I learned I need a better glue, as the one I’m currently using leaves too many remnants behind. But, I can now make yummy-looking treats for my dolls!

My cousin Linda’s birthday was coming up, and as she hasn’t been in the best shape, health-wise, I thought I could try my hand at card making…

"For Linda"
“For Linda”

Which then led to Mom wanting a card made for her friend’s birthday…

"For Jan"
“For Jan”

These were fun to make! I may never buy another card again!