National Scrapbook Day 2018 has come and gone, so I thought I’d share my makes for this year. I had planned on knocking out my mom’s Mother’s Day card early and work on other projects later in the day. Well… that did not happen. The card took all damn day. But it turned out pretty and I know she’ll love it, so it was worth it.
I did this card based on a Lawn Fawn YouTube tutorial. I used Lawn Fawn’s Fab Flowers the How You Bean? stamps and die sets to make this shaker card. I love getting Mom flowers, but they always die after a while, so this way, her card of flowers will last much longer. She still has last year’s Mother’s Day card on display, so I think she will like this one. And I ended up die cutting so many flowers, I had enough for two cards. The other I plan on adding to my craft fair stock.
Speaking of craft fairs, my goal this year is to attend one for the first time. So I am trying to build up some “stock” to sell at the annual craft fair held in my town before Christmas. I think I will mostly be making cards, but I have a few art pieces I’d like to add in as well. I’ve made four works using Oxide inks and Lavinia Stamps and I thought they turned out rather well. The artworks are 5×7, placed in a decorated 8×10 mat. I don’t know if anyone will be interested in them, but I’m pretty pleased with them.
Speaking of cards, here are some samples of ones I will be making for the craft fair.
Of course, if any of my dear readers are interested in anything ahead of time, just drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ll be back in a few days with updates on my Julie Nutting monthly layouts!
Happy Easter …. a couple of weeks late! I swear, I had every intention of getting this up in time for the holiday, but my week of vacation turned into days in bed sick followed by doctors visits, so I didn’t get a lot done! Maybe on my next vacation I can keep myself well enough to work on some projects.
So for today, I have one tutorial and a spring-themed project to share. My tutorial is for decorated Easter eggs. Or, since Easter is over, spring eggs!
I started off with two paper mache eggs from Hobby Lobby. (I got a bag of 5 for less than $2.)
My first step was to cover them both with tissue paper. I used a scripty tissue that I bought off Amazon a couple of years ago. It gets mostly covered up, but you can still see some of the details in the finished egg. I used Multi Matte Medium by Ranger to glue on the paper.
After they dried, I then painted both eggs with a thin coat of white gesso… not enough to cover the script, but just enough to push it into the background. While that was drying, I cut some cheesecloth and sprayed one with Prima Color Bloom Mustard Seed and the other with Lindy’s Maidenhair Fern green to dye the cloth.
I then added just a little bit of Color Bloom Tea Stain and Lindy’s Sea Mint Green just for some deeper tones. When the cloth was dry, I used Multi Matte Medium to glue the cloth onto the eggs.
I dry brushed just a little bit of white gesso onto the cloth before attaching some lace and a string of pearls onto the eggs.
Then came the fun part… decorating! I layered on different small flowers of yellow and green onto my eggs. With the green egg, I also glued on some die cut scraps out of my scrap box.
Next I poured a few Prima Art Stones onto a paper plate and sprayed them with the same sprays as I’d used on the cheesecloth. When they were dry, I dipped by brush into the glue, picked up some stones, and went around both eggs for some more texture. To add a little bit of shine, I also glued on some gold and green seed beads as well.
For final touches, I added a purple butterfly from Reneabouquets onto the green egg and a vellum butterfly from 49&Market onto the yellow.
I had so much fun making the eggs, I decided to do a couple more a few days later. Only, these were simpler.
I first painted the entire egg with white gesso, then I did one in lavender and one in robin’s egg blue chalk paint. I glued ribbon/lace onto both eggs again, this time going up over the top of the eggs instead of around the center. To the purple one I added simply one flower, a twine bow, some bead stems and a couple of gems on the side. To the blue one, all I wanted was one of Reneabouquet’s beautiful butterflies with a couple of extra gems glued onto the wings.
* * *
Unfortunately, as most of us in the U.S. can attest, spring has been slow in arriving this year. I have been so sick of the cold weather, I knew I wanted to do something that just screamed spring, so I made a wreath using pink flowers for cherry blossom season.
Most of the flowers used are from Prima’s Cherry Blossom collection, with a few others thrown in for size variety. The wreath I got at Hobby Lobby as well. I think it was around $4 or so. Nothing fancy to it, I just layered and glued flowers on with a hot glue gun until I was happy with it. I also added some ephemera from Prima’s Lavender collection and another Renea dragonfly. Maybe spring will show up soon so we can enjoy some real blossoms!