Cheers!

I had uploaded a card I made for my best friend’s birthday to my gallery on Scrapbook.com, when someone asked if I had a video of how I made it. I’m not in a position to make videos at the moment (no work space… I create on my bed right now), but I’m hoping to change that in the future when we move at the beginning of next year and I’ll have my own craft/hobby room. But it was simple enough to make so I thought I’d write out how I did it…

Cheers!
Cheers!

I started with the Simon Says Stamp set “Adult Beverages.” I was taking my bestie on a cruise for her birthday, and the one thing she really wanted to do (besides swim with dolphins) was to drink something fruity with an umbrella in it. That was the inspiration behind the card.

I used my MISTI to line up the drink stamps on my card stock. Then I added the “extras” — the umbrella, straw and fruit slice, then the sentiment (which is from a coordinating stamp set).

As far as I know there’s not a die set to go with these stamps, so I got out my trusty exacto knife and carefully cut out the center of the glasses. I used a black distress marker to color the edges of the cuts, then taped down a piece of acetate on the back. I cut foam tape into thin strips and placed them all around the edges of the cut outs on the back side, on top of the acetate. I only did one layer though, and afterwards, I wish I had done two, because it didn’t leave a whole lot of room for the sequins to move.

I brushed the acetate with a powder tool to get rid of static, then filled in the wells made by the foam tape with sequins and beads. (For the martini glass, I filled with a white sequin mix, but put in one olive green sequin with a smaller red sequin glued on top for the olive.) Then I attached another piece of white cardstock to the back. After that, I just glued the shaker to a card base and glued on some sequins to the front!

I finally have a die cut machine, so I’m eager to start making more cards in the future!

Smaller quilling projects

After my Major Undertaking, I decided to try something smaller. I had a random pad of 6×6″ scrapbook paper which inspired me to do something Steampunk-ish. I wanted to try a husking technique I’d seen on YouTube, added some flowers, chipboard and gear trinkets, and came up with “Flight Mechanics.”

"Flight Mechanics"
“Flight Mechanics”

I’m happy to say this became my first sold piece! A Facebook friend saw it, loved it and bought it. I’m so happy he liked it! ❤

Next, I decided to try my hand at 3D quilling… and learned I need way more practice! That will come in the future I’m sure.

"Tea Time"
“Tea Time”

I learned I need a better glue, as the one I’m currently using leaves too many remnants behind. But, I can now make yummy-looking treats for my dolls!

My cousin Linda’s birthday was coming up, and as she hasn’t been in the best shape, health-wise, I thought I could try my hand at card making…

"For Linda"
“For Linda”

Which then led to Mom wanting a card made for her friend’s birthday…

"For Jan"
“For Jan”

These were fun to make! I may never buy another card again!