Art journal: Never Change

Sometimes, instead of dragging supplies out for the next “big project,” it helps to just sit down and do a quick little art journal spread. Nothing fancy or elaborate. Just creating for the sake of creating.

IMG_3111
Never Change

I’ve had these Carabelle Studio stamp sets for a while, but hadn’t had a chance to use them yet.

IMG_3091 (1)

I thought they would work well together, so I stamped them out, colored them with Copic markers and fussy cut them. I had to add some hair to the girl, but it turned out better than I’d hoped. (I’m always nervous when it comes to altering stamps!)

IMG_3094 (1)

I had recently received the new Tim Holtz Distress Oxide sprays, and I wanted to play with them to create my underwater scene. I used  Faded Jeans, Mermaid Lagoon, Wilted Violet and Cracked Pistachio. When you spray them on, the colors are quite vibrant, but as they dry, you get that lovely matte/chalky finish.

IMG_3095 (1)
Distress Oxide Sprays when wet

 

IMG_3098 (1)
Distress Oxide Sprays when dry

 

To add texture to my ocean, I used a Heffy Doodle stencil and placed it over the dried pages. I covered up the pages that weren’t covered by the stencil to protect them before spritzing water through the stencil, waiting a moment, then blotting the pages dry with a paper towel. I repeated this process with the entire background.

IMG_3100 (1)

 

IMG_3102

 

I used a Bubbles stamp from Bella Stamps to stamp little bubbles in the water using Aquamarine archival ink. I also used the Vintage Contract stamp from Stampendous to add just a little bit more texture to my background. I flicked on some Time Travel Teal spray from Lindy’s for a bit of sparkle. Finally, I did some splashes with some white ink all over the pages.

IMG_3110 (1)

When everything was dry, I just glued the girl and my fish to the pages with Multi Matte Medium and added a Tim Holtz Small Talk quote for my sentiment, outlining with with a white charcoal pencil. A few sequins finished my layout.

IMG_3111
Never Change

 

Thanks for stopping by! I’ll be on a staycation-vacation next week, so I hope to have something new created during my time off. 🙂

Advertisements

Unimaginable

Is anyone in the Northern Hemisphere ready for spring yet? I know I am, and we haven’t even had that bad of a winter here in Tennessee, not like the northern states. But these gloomy, cold days are great for working indoors on craft projects! And I’ve just finished my latest… a steampunk octopus!

image24870

This was actually going to be my second video tutorial, but I somehow messed up my camera settings and a large chunk of the middle didn’t get recorded. So I’ll just do my best to explain how I created him.

I started with a 12-inch blank MDF octopus from Diverse Woodworking. I painted the base with black gesso, then used modeling paste through the Riveted stencil from TCW to get the metal plate look. When that dried, I painted the entire thing with Ancient Coin and Steampunk Copper Metallique paints from Prima/Finnabair. I set it aside to dry while I worked on my embellishments.

image24864

I used a Baroque frame, faucet knob and quote band from Tim Holtz, along with several chipboard cogs from Dusty Attic and a tin heart from Prima for the center of my octopus. I painted everything with black gesso, then went over different elements with the following Prima waxes: Vintage Gold, Rich Copper and Brushed Iron. I arranged them how I wanted on the octopus and glued everything down with heavy body gel, leaving it to dry overnight. The next day, I mixed small and medium Art Stones with some Ancient Coin paint and added them here and there around the cogs. I also decided I wanted to rust him up a bit, so I dabbed on some Prima rust pastes here and there over the entire octopus and cogs.

image24868

The chipboard hat and accessories came from Creative Embellishments. I painted everything with black gesso, then used Rich Copper wax for the hat and Peacock wax for the “feather.” Glued everything down, then attached the hat to the octopus’ head with more heavy body gel. I added Crackle Accents to the “goggles” to give them a cracked, glassy look and finished the hat off with silver Nuvo Drops as rivets.

For the eyes, I used a chipboard piece from Creative Embellishments and jewels from the Prima Santorini collection. I really wanted him to have blue eyes for some reason!

image24867

I knew I wanted to add some things in his tentacles, so I used a couple of cogs, a little resin starfish, a clock charm and a Tim Holtz Christmas Bauble colored with Pool alcohol ink with a little copper mixative. A few more Art Stones hid where the glue was visible.

image24869

At this point, he was mostly done, but I felt he needed a little something extra in the center. So I found a resin seahorse and painted it with Ancient Coin paint, then rubbed a little Peacock wax over the top. Such a gorgeous combination!

Thanks for stopping by and hopefully, I’ll be more careful with my video clips in the future!