My next project was inspired by a Tiffany Solorio video where she altered a papier mache star box. I wanted to try something like that, so I asked my mother, who was heading out of town to Hobby Lobby (our town is too small for its own craft store) to pick me up a similar box. Unfortunately, she couldn’t find a larger one, so she brought home several tiny boxed in various shapes for me to play with. I was immediately inspired by the hexagon box and wanted to do a bee-themed alteration.
My first step was to cover the entire box in black gesso. Even the insides, because I didn’t care for the brown color with what I had planned for the box.
At this point, I had planned to stencil some flowers on top and add my bee charm to the flowers, but as you’ll see, I ended up covering most of the stenciled area up when I decided to add more height to the top of the box. I used the Tim Holtz Floral Layering Stencil and some Pumice Stone Effect Paste by Prima/Finnabair to add flowers to the top of the box and three sides. For the other sides, I simply dabbed just a bit of pumice paste here and there, giving it just a little bit of texture. (Basically, I cleaned my palette knife off on the bare sides.)
It was at this point that I realized I wanted just a bit more to the top of my box, so I found a resin flower in my stash from Melissa Frances and I die cut some leaves using the Prima Forest Leaves die set. I also die cut a honeycomb piece using the Memory Box Honeycomb Corner die. To give the honeycomb pieces a little more depth, I die cut it three times and glued the die cuts on top of one another.
I repainted my box and embellishments with black gesso. I added a little round metal button from Prima to the center of the flower and a bee charm I had in my stash.
I also added three smaller bee charms to the sides of the box with the stenciled flowers. On the other three sides, I added pieces from the Honeycomb Corner I had cut apart. All of my embellishments were glued down with Heavy Body Gel by Prima/Finnabair.
I painted over the bee charms on the side with black gesso, and when everything was dry, I painted the whole box with Midnight Sky Metallique paint by Prima/Finnabair. It is a lovely deep blue color with a metallic sheen.
When that was dry, I took the Art Alchemy Metallique Wax in Antique Gold and went over the whole box to highlight all the textures.
I then took some matte medium and added Gold Rush glass glitter by Prima/Finnabair here and there for some extra shine.
My final step was to add Swarovski crystals in a delicious honey color to each of the bees.
This was a really fun project that I managed to complete in one afternoon. Sometimes working on smaller projects can be the most enjoyable!
I’m on vacation next week, so I hope to do some spring-themed projects while I’m off. I’m heartily sick of winter. Bring on the flowers!