I participate in a monthly ATC swap hosted on the forums of Scrapbook.com. Each month, I will be showcasing the cards I have made for the swap, describing products and techniques used to make them.
The four themes for June were Day of the Dead, Medicine, Outdoors/Camping and Nautical. I ended up doing the all the categories, including a second set for the Nautical category.
I didn’t have any camping-themed supplies, but I did have some great wildlife dies by Memory Box/Poppystamps. I used the same techniques I did with my Mother’s Day fairy card, only with the two smallest forest dies instead of using all four. I inked up two panels with Cracked Pistachio and Peeled Paint Distress Oxide inks, flicked some water on them, then die cut the Wildwood and Thicket collage dies from Memory Box. For the back panel, I used Broken China and Fossilized Amber Distress Oxides to give a sunrise feeling to the ATCs.
I die cut some Memory Box/Poppystamps animals and plants out of plain white cardstock. Foam tape was used to give the layers some dimension and the animals were glued onto the different panels. To give the cards a finishing touch, I inked the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
For my first set of nauticals, I cut my ATC bases from a piece of paper from Prima’s St. Tropez collection. I distressed the edges with a Tim Holtz distressing tool. I die cut the lighthouse, trees, birds and wave from dies by Memory Box/Poppystamps. The hill is from the Memory Box Country Hills Oval Frame, and just cut the frame off. They were colored with Bundled Sage and Frayed Burlap distress inks.
For the lighthouse, I inked up a text stamp with some grey ink and tilted it diagonally. I shaded one side with Pumice Stone Distress Ink. The wave die comes in two parts. I used Salty Ocean on the base, then spritzed it with a silver shimmer spray. I left the overlay white and just glued it on top. The sentiments were from the same Prima St. Tropez paper collection. I added just a bit of graphite pencil around the sentiments and inside the lighthouse windows. The edges of the cards were inked with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.
For my second set of nauticals, I inked the ATC base with Tea Dye Distress Ink. I then taped it into a Tim Holtz woodgrain embossing folder and inked one side with brown Archival Ink. That gets ink down in the impressions but not on the rest of the paper.
I die cut the porthole using a die by Cottage Cutz. To give the shaker dimension, I then cut the porthole into craft foam three times per window and glued the layers together. The top paper layer I painted with bronze Distress Paint. The inner part of the window was inked with Antique Linen Distress Ink. I added a piece of acetate between the paper and foam layers for the window.
For the background of the window, I die cut some waves using a Simon Says Stamp wave die and inked it with Salty Ocean and drew waves on with a white gel pen. I also spritzed it with a clear shimmer spray. The sky was done in Tumbled Glass. I glued a little wooden ship onto the ocean and added some seed beads before attaching the background to the layered porthole.
When I went to attach the porthole to the textured card base, I decided it was getting lost against the background, so I dry brushed a thin layer of white gesso onto the textured background to mute the color a little. I glued on the porthole shaker, a wooden sentiment I’d painted blue and some blue and green flowers to finish.
For the medicine-themed card, honestly, all I could think of was that song from Mary Poppins. I had these gorgeous little copper spoons I wanted to use. I squeezed some Sprinkled Sugar Stickles into the spoon and added some clear glass beads. And that was as far as I got for about a week. My first background was… a mess. Oh, they had potential for a different project, but not for this one. I finally ended up stamping a medicine bottle stamp from Lawn Fawn in Fired Brick Distress Ink over a background of Antique Linen. I glued on some Prima flowers and die cut the little label. Because the label was so small, I had my mother write the sentiment. She has such tiny handwriting! I added a piece of sheer ribbon and my problem cards were done.
I swear, I didn’t plan to do the Day of the Dead theme. I don’t know much about the holiday, except people call it “Mexican Halloween.” And I know that’s not really what it is. I wish I’d had time to really read up on Day of the Dead traditions.
What happened was… I sat down at my craft desk to tidy up from my weekend crafting. I was putting my Poppystamps tag dies back in their folder when I realized that one of the smaller ones was ATC sized… and kind of looked like a tombstone. So I cut a couple out to play with. I inked the card with Pumice Stone Distress Ink, then taped it into my Tim Holtz stonework embossing folder, inked with Hickory Smoke ink.
I then die cut some grass using a Lawn Fawn die, the R.I.P. letters from an Elizabeth Craft Designs alphabet die into pink glitter paper and some candles using a Cheery Lynn Halloween die set. I had a sheet of sugar skull stickers, so they became the focal point of my tombstones.
After adding the grass and candles, I still felt the cards needed a little something so I dug out some critter dies from Memory Box/Poppystamps. They turned out cuter than I was expecting.
And I never did tidy up my craft desk…
Can’t wait to see what next month’s themes are!