A haunted ATC trio

I’ve wanted to try my hand at Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) for a few months now, but I had a trip to plan and get through and the deaths of several friends to deal with (two expected, one not so much). So my art attempts were really limited to my art journal for the past couple of months. But after my trip was over (and I got over my sickness acquired while on said trip), I decided to give it a shot.

My opportunity came when the October ATC swap categories over on Scrapbook.com  were announced. There wasn’t a Halloween theme, but there was a favorite quote or saying option. I knew I had three stamps that combined two of my favorite things — Halloween and Shakespeare — and inspiration bloomed.

I started with three watercolor ATC bases, then took different shades of Distress inks in typical Halloween colors, orange, green and purple, and used a blending tool to rub the ink into the card, starting with the lightest shade of each color, making them darker toward the edges. Then I spritzed some water on top to create droplets. After the cards had dried a little, I took three different stencils and used one on each card with Black Soot Distress Ink.

The finished backgrounds....
The finished backgrounds….

The cards sat like this for a few days while I tried to figure out how to proceed. I assigned each quote to a color and decided to find an appropriate Halloween stamp to go along with each card’s theme. I had the thought to heat emboss the quote onto acetate and layering it on top of the card, so I needed some flat-ish embellishments to go between the layers.

Let me go through each one…

Shakespearean Sorcery #1
Shakespearean Sorcery #1

From Act IV of Macbeth, I wanted to do something spooky, and I had the perfect tiny graveyard stamp to use at the base of the card. I added a “31” ephemera piece from the latest set to add to the corner. Every good, creepy cemetery needs a few ghosts, so I sprinkled some Halloween sequin mix on top before layering the acetate on top, adhering it with glossy accents. When dry, I went around the edge with Orange Peel Stickles and glued on some little bones as a final touch.

Shakespearean Sorcery #2
Shakespearean Sorcery #2

Also from Act IV of Macbeth, I knew this one had to be a little witchy. I fussy cut some potion bottles and a spell book from a piece of Graphic 45 Rare Oddities paper  and glued them down. I stamped a spider dangling from a web across the top. Both this stamp and the cemetery one are from the same set, Halloween Borders from Hero Arts. I used a different Halloween sequin mix (I’m sorry, I don’t remember which one!) to sprinkle on top before adhering the acetate. I went around the outside edge with Black Diamond Stickles before finally attaching a small metal spider charm in the upper corner.

Shakespearean Sorcery #3.
Shakespearean Sorcery #3.

Not from Macbeth this time, but Act III of Hamlet. I think this one’s my favorite. Shh. Don’t tell the other two. I used a raven stamp from a Halloween set from Inkadinkadoo. I used the Faber Castell white Big Brush Marker to color in the moon very carefully. A third Halloween sequin mix — containing bats and moons! — was sprinkled on top before gluing down the acetate. I used Starry Night Stickles around the edges, then painted a chipboard bat with black gesso and glue him on top of the card.

The finished set...
The finished set…

The cards turned out better than I expected, and I almost didn’t want to give them up! But I figured I can always make them again. 🙂

Wonder what I’ll get in exchange… 😀