A major undertaking…

For my third quilling piece, I decided to go big or go home with a totally outrageous, blinged out quilling project. I’d had several ideas in mind, but I really wanted to do a fairy on a crescent moon after being inspired by some artwork I’d found on the internet. I downloaded a basic crescent moon shape to use as an outline. Then I found some clipart of a fairy to use as well, since I had not yet discovered chipboard embellishments. Putting the two images together, I traced the basic shape onto a piece of white cardstock I’d spritzed with purple and blue Color Bloom spray, then went to work making flowers.

"Dream"
“Dream”

This piece took about two weeks to complete, though I didn’t work on it every day.

The large blue flower took all day to make, using the beehive technique.
The large blue flower took all day to make, using the beehive technique.

I didn’t really have a “design” for the flowers in mind, other than the large blue flower, so I would just make flowers in random shapes and sizes using different shades of blues and purples and white.

Most of the flowers I made, but I added a few pre-made flowers in smaller spots.
Most of the flowers I made, but I added a few pre-made flowers in smaller spots.

When I had what I thought was enough flowers, I started arranging them on a piece of wax paper on top of the moon outline, to see where I wanted to put them and to keep the moon’s shape. After making even more flowers and small pieces to fill in some gaps, I started gluing them onto the cardstock.

A lot of bling went into this piece
A lot of bling went into this piece.

I had planned to cut the fairy out of black cardstock, but by the time I had cut her out of paper, my hands were killing me. Since she looked alright printed on regular paper, I just glued her down. I made her wings out of scrapbook paper and vellum, using McGill’s Paper Blossom Tool Kit to make them stand up off the page. I added a few self-adhesive gems and went to town with Stickles to create the chains.

I was super pleased with the way it turned out, especially since it was only the third quilling piece I had attempted. I hope to do more like this someday.

Advertisements

One thought on “A major undertaking…

  1. Pingback: Smaller quilling projects – art by moonlight

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s